Monday, December 17, 2012

Light at the End of the Tunnel

With everything that has gone on since Friday December 14th, it is hard to ignore that we live in scary times. I had a conversation with my daughter Carolyn that I never wanted to have. I had to tell her before she saw the mess that was on the news. Almost every channel had what happened at Sandy Hook. I told her the facts which are 20 children, who were her age, and 6 adults were killed by a man who was very sick and needed help but hasn't gotten it. It is okay to be scared and sad. I am too. Then I told her that most likely it won't happen at your school but in case it does your teachers are trained to know what to do so stay calm and listen to them.

I thank God that I have my children everyday!! I hold them closer to me now knowing that this is a possibility anywhere. Carolyn just turned 7 so she is the same age as most of those kids and it breaks my heart to know that.




In the heart above there are 27 candles one for each of the children and staff and one for the mother of the young man who needed help, because she was a victim too. I saw the poem below on someone's facebook page and thought it was perfect in how to describe how I feel and how I know those children now feel, welcomed into the light safely home in Heavenly Fathers arms.

twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.
their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
they were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."
when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.
and as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
"may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"come now my children, let me show you around."
excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA

My hope is that through all this tragic mess that conversations will take place that things will get fixed so that this won't happen again. There needs to be an open dialogue about the problem of mental illness not being treated with the respect it deserves. My hope it that this comes about there is such a need for it.

It is hard to see this as light but I say it is because it has opened the eyes of people who don't know to learn and start to care. Social media is great but communication and love for one another is what is needed to help our nation heal and learn to care for those who have issues like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment