Wednesday, December 5, 2012

DIY Tea-Light Lanterns

Well my friend got married to the man of her dreams April 28th of this year and I  could not afford to but her something for her wedding. So I asked her if she had center pieces for her wedding and she said no. So I said I had an idea and I would do them for her for her gift to her and her new hubby. I had most of the material already being the crafty hoarder that I am.
 




These were not hard to make the hardest part was figuring out a way to make the lace stay on. I fixed that with safety pins. I pinned a hem vertically which created a very minimal seam, but I am getting ahead of myself.
First you need canning jars I really like the wide-mouth ones for this because you can fit your hand in the jar much easier. Then you need lace and safety pins. The lace provides the pattern on the jar. Stray paint (I used a flat paint but when I taught a class on this found that I liked the gloss look better and it didn't scrape off as easily) and a plastic grocery bag. Then you have your embellishing items and glue gun. I pinned the lace on as tight as I could so that there was no running when I painted them. I used the plastic bag to cover my hand when I sprayed the jars apply as evenly as you can and remember less is more so don't over spray. If you use a flat paint you can take the lace off right away if you use a gloss let the paint dry some before removing the lace or it will smudge. (Found that out the hard way.) Wait until the paint is totally dry before you decorate. I used rhinestones ribbon flowers and charms to decorate the jars and placed a tea light candle in each. These were really pretty when lit.
I made 12 of each size. They cost me about 15-20 dollars to make (I already had the jars and some other stuff). My friend and her hubby were so happy they kept saying thank-you and people couldn't believe that I made them. I gotta say I get inspired by pinterest that is where I got this idea (click the word idea and it will take you there.) Anyway that is what I did if you have any questions just comment below and I will answer for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment